Open source invoice software [UPDATE]

On a weekend, I was asked to develop a "simple" software to generate invoice, a sample document is given as reference.  First thing that comes out from my mind is to setup a template in Office Excel, that would be easy and fast.  But the idea gets turned off immediately because invoice number needs to be auto-incremented.

A simple google search leads me to Siwapp Invoice System and Simple Invoices.  I spent some time playing with the demos, here's my opinion.

Siwapp v 0.4.1
PROS
Easy to setup in XAMPP (Apache web server, PHP, MySQL bundle on local machine)
Clean and pretty interface
Built on Symphony which is similar to CodeIgniter and PHP5.3, easy for programmers to do customisations
Able to set up recurring invoices
Provide wiki and community forum to look for solutions
Able to create invoice templates
Able to add extra modules, e.g. Customers, Estimates and Products
CONS
Beta version, undergoing very slow development phase
Unable to set up database in XAMPP if password field is empty unless you apply a small hack as shown here

Simple Invoice v 2011.1
PROS
Easy to setup in XAMPP
Provide several types of reports
Able to create database backup files
Offer more configurations
Supports PayPal and Eway Merchant
CONS
UI needs to be improved, should not have fix width

FusionInvoice v1.2.4 beta
PROS
Build on CodeIgniter PHP MVC framework.
Simple, clean UI from Twitter bootscrap
Ongoing development and bug fixing by the creator
Same and more functionalities as Siwapp
Calendar view
Able to import .csv files, see documentation.
Report generating
CONS
Cannot change invoice template from UI
Limited search criterias
Cannot do batch actions on invoices
Pagination is not done in Ajax

Update:
I've done some modifications to Siwapp, check out my other post for more info.  I stopped halfway through implementing "batch invoice status update" feature.  I might continue to develop it until I'm confident to release the codes.

On the other hand, I came across FusionInvoice early today.  After playing the demo and comparing it to Siwapp, I would say it's a decent software and worth checking out the code structure.

References:

1 comment:

  1. hey i am using this billin software . it is easy to use and user friendly and have also easy navigation. i recommend this to people for using. thank u! http://www.billin.in/

    ReplyDelete