Why Xbox360 outputs green horizontal dotted lines on screen?

No, this is not a review of the upcoming game. Yes, it's somehow related to this game Source: gearsofwar.com

I haven't been gaming on Xbox360 for quite some time.  Since Gears of War: Judgement is just round the corner, I replayed Gears of War 3 to prepare myself for the prequel, even bought its single player campaign DLC, Raam's Shadow.  While I was busy shooting some necromorphs locusts, the Xbox360 seemed to be failing on me, screen flickered every 5 to 10 seconds.

 "It can't be the sign of red ring of deeeeath!!" whispered in my tiny brain.  I tried to adjust the HDMI cable which I bought at a local HN store 2 years ago, and it has stopped flickering...just for a good 5 minutes.  This issue persists when I plugged the cable to my laptop.  Without much hesitation, I ordered two 5m of HDMI v1.4 cables from Aliexpress for less than $6 (free delivery), knowing that it will cost me at least $25 to get one from a local retail store.

Received the parcel in 10 days time, I ripped off the plastic bag and tried out the new HDMI cables.  At the Xbox360 start-up splash screen, I saw something, not good at all. Green horizontal dotted lines filled the screen.  My initial thought was "no wonder the cables are so dirt cheap...", tried the other cable and restart the console, same problem occurred.  After some googling on my faithful IPad, I'm guessing maybe, just maybe I can fiddle with the console's display configuration.

Here's the solution,
Go to Settings > Display > Screen Resolution

1080p was initially selected.  I changed it to 1080i and woah, it's fixed!  No green horizontal lines, no flickering, cost me $3.  Best of all, I can continue my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment